Shell studies decommissioning of the Fluminense FPSO


Shell is consulting the market to evaluate the contracting of decommissioning services for the FPSO Fluminense, which is installed in the field of Bijupirá, in the Campos Basin.

According to the oil company, the verification of the services necessary for the operation is part of the long-term planning for the decommissioning of the asset.

“Shell Brasil has been investing in the modernization and maintenance of FPSO Fluminense to extend the useful life of the asset for at least five years, increasing the productivity of the Bijupirá and Salema fields and maximizing the economically viable recovery factor,” the company said of the press.

The statements go against market comment that Shell would be considering anticipating the decommissioning of the platform due to operational problems.

“The concession contract for Bijupirá and Salema ends in 2025, when the fields will be returned to the ANP,” the company added.

Located in a water depth of 762 m, the Bijupirá field was declared commercial in 2005 and began to produce four years later. According to ANP data, the Fluminense FPSO has not been producing since January.

Shell is the operator of the field with 80% participation, with Petrobras as partner, with the remaining 20%.

Marlim and Swordfish

The ANP estimates that 16 production units will have to be decommissioned by 2020, including the P-7, P-12, P-15 and P-33 platforms in the Campos Basin, whose processes are under analysis at the agency and Ibama .

The environmental agency also evaluates the processes of the fixed platforms of the Cação field (PCA-1, PCA-2 and PCA-3) in the Espírito Santo Basin, which already had part of their topside equipment removed by CSE Mechanics and Instrumentation, of Aker Solutions.

The largest development in the short- and medium-term horizon is associated with Petrobras’ Marlim field revitalization project, which provides for the decommissioning of nine platforms, including P-33.

Another platform that will soon be demobilized is the FPSO Cidade de Rio de Janeiro, in the Espadarte field, also operated by Petrobras. Modec, owner of the unit, informed that it already carries out preparatory activities for the operation.

Source: Brazil Energy

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.