Maromba’s assignment to BW Energy near approval

July 16, 2019

While ANP finalizes analysis of the process, Petrobras submits a proposal for the development of the field to Ibama

The ANP is about to approve the full assignment of rights for the Maromba field, in the Campos Basin, to BW Energy. If completed, the decision will mark the debut of the oil company in the position of field operator in Brazil.

The purchase of 70% of the assets by the Norwegian company was closed at the beginning of March with Petrobras, integrating one of the fronts of the oil divestment plan. Shortly afterwards the acquisition of the remaining 30% with Chevron was agreed.

The company is expected to submit the field development plan in October. The project is in preparation, but the plan already announced by the group foresees the beginning of production of the field in 2022, dividing its development in three phases and with at least nine wells, that will be interconnected to the Berge Helene FPSO.

Petrobras submitted to IBAMA the project characterization form, which will have the data updated and revised after BW Energy officially takes over the operation. In the document, the Brazilian oil company plans to implement the project in only two phases, the first with the drilling of two wells, and the second, with up to eight wells connected to Berge Helene, six months after the start of the first phase.

The FPSO could produce up to 50,000 bopd, having the capacity to store about 1 million barrels of oil. The oil production of the project will be drained to relief ships, while the gas production will be used as fuel by the unit.

According to information released by BW Energy at the end of May, the estimated production volume for the first phase is 20 thousand bopd. In the second stage, the projection is for production to reach the mark of 35 thousand bopd, jumping to 40 thousand bopd in the last stage.

The transaction with Petrobras was closed for US $ 90 million, to be paid in three installments – US $ 20 million at the date of the transaction, US $ 20 million in up to 15 business days after the start of well drilling activities for the development of the field and $ 50 million up to three months after the first oil or three years after the start of well drilling activities for field development, whichever occurs first.

Synergies with FPSOs

FPSOs operator, BW Offshore – a group of which BW Energy became independent in May – debuted as an oil company in 2017 with the acquisition of the Dussafu field in Gabon. The project went into operation in September 2018 and has been producing about of 12,500 bopd, through two wells.

The strategy of the group, which has 15 FPSOs of its own, is to seek small and medium-sized development projects that have synergies with their production units, as a way to speed entry and reduce costs.

Discovered in 2003 by Petrobras, the Maromba field is located in shallow waters, in the southern part of the Campos Basin, about 100 km off the coast of the state of Rio de Janeiro. Its declaration of commerciality was made in 2006. Throughout this period, the project was never put into operation.

Source: BE Petroleum

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.